I have several tomato plants this year. My plan was canning or freezing several things such as tomato sauce, pasta sauce, tomato basil pasta sauce, salsa, taco sauce, and Rotel.
We love salsa at my house and I did not want to use canned Rotel so we had to start making our own. It is so easy!!! Aaron is pretty sure that with the homemade Rotel my salsa tastes better than it ever has.
I do want you to know that if you plan on freezing it the peppers do get hotter, so keep that in mind.
- 1 1/2 quarts peeled chopped seeded tomatoes (about 4lbs)
- 10 jalapenos, diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Blanch the tomato’s. By this I mean place the tomatoes into boiling hot water for 3-4 minutes and then remove from hot water immediately. This will help to peel the tomatoes.
- After removing the skin and seeds place the tomatoes, deiced jalapenos, and salt into a 4 quart sauce pan and simmer until they are reduced to 1 quart.
- Store the Rotel in 1 cup portions as this will be the same as using 1 can of store bought for recipes.
- Remember that freezing hot peppers due make them hotter!
- You can adjust the heat of the Rotel by adding or removing jalapenos. This recipe is perfect for my family.